Connect with us

San Jose Barracuda

Sharks Waive Lindblom, Peterson & Carpenter, Paving Way for Eklund & Bordeleau?

Published

on

Credit: Hockey Shots/Dean Tait

The San Jose Sharks have waived forwards Oskar Lindblom, Jacob Peterson, and Ryan Carpenter.

This should mean that top prospects William Eklund and Thomas Bordeleau will make the Sharks’ opening night roster.

Right now, the San Jose Sharks have 16 forwards officially on their roster: Alexander Barabanov, Thomas Bordeleau, Logan Couture, Anthony Duclair, William Eklund, Mikael Granlund, Tomas Hertl, Mike Hoffman, Luke Kunin, Kevin Labanc, Quentin Musty, Mitchell Russell, Givani Smith, Nico Sturm, Filip Zadina, and Fabian Zetterlund.

We can likely take three names off this list, at least for Oct. 12 opening night.

Couture, who skated today for the first time since the beginning of training camp, is considered a “longshot” to be ready by opening night.

Couture ‘Longshot’ To Play Opening Night

If Couture is ready, he would likely replace fellow center Bordeleau, who’s waiver-exempt.

2023 first-rounder Musty, who didn’t participate in practice today, is likely headed back to the OHL’s Sudbury Wolves.

Russell is dealing with an injury and will be going to the AHL’s San Jose Barracuda once he gets cleared.

That leaves 13 forwards, among them 2021 first-rounder Eklund and 2020 second-rounder Bordeleau.

This is just an educated guess, teams have until Monday at 2 PM PT to submit their opening night rosters.

As for Lindblom, signed with some fanfare to a two-year, $5 million contract last off-season, Peterson, who impressed with eight points in 11 games last year for the Sharks, and Carpenter, returning to the San Jose organization after cutting his teeth as a fourth-line center at multiple NHL stops, they may be called upon by the Sharks yet.

“Unfortunately for them, guys played a little bit better than them. By no means does that mean we’ve quit on anybody. I always refer to the Scott Harrington conversation I had last year with Scott Harrington,” San Jose Sharks head coach David Quinn said of the veteran defenseman. “Came here on a PTO, signed him on a two-way contract, then we sent him down. I would imagine most guys in that situation thought, well, this is it. I’ll never get another crack. I told him, you just go down there and play well, you’ll be back. And that’s what he did. He went down, played well, we called him back up, and he never left.”

Sheng’s Travel Fund

Help fund Sheng's travel! Every dollar goes to the cost of getting to and from Sharks road games.


Click here to contribute to Sheng's travel pool!

Get SJHN in your inbox!

Enter your email address to get all of our articles delivered directly to your inbox.

Hockey Shots

Extra Hour Hockey Training

Cathy’s Power Skating

Sharks Team & Cap Info

Meta